Slow cooking at low temperature will remove the fat and enhance wood smoke flavor.
Smoked Pulled Pork Ingredients and Preparation
Ingredients for 10 people.
- 8-9 lb bone-in pork shoulder
- your favorite rub, we recommend the Traeger Big Game Rub.
- 2 cup apple cider
- BBQ sauce
|10 min||9 hours||10 people||2/5 easy|
- Set the smoker temperature to 250ºF and preheat, lid closed for 15 min.
- Meanwhile trim excess fat off pork butt.
- 20 minutes season with rub. Be generous.
- Place the pork butt fat side up directly on the grill grate and cook until the internal temperature reaches 160ºF, about 3 to 5 hours.
- Remove the pork butt from the grill.
- On a large baking sheet, stack 4 large pieces of aluminium foil on top of each other, ensuring they are wide enough to wrap the pork butt entirely on all sides. If not, overlap the foil pieces to create a wider base. Then place the pork butt in the center on the foil, bring up the sides a little bit before pouring the apple cider on top of the meat. Wrap the foil tightly around the pork, ensuring the cider does not escape.
LOW-TEMPREATURE SLOW-COOKING takes time but brings flavor.
- Place the foil wrapped pork butt back on the grill fat side up and cook until the internal temp reaches 205ºF, in the thickest part of the meat, about 3 to 4 hours, maybe longer depending on the size of the pork butt. Set the smoker about 275 and you will be there.
- Remove from the grill. Allow the pork to rest for about 40-45 min in the foil packet.
- Remove the pork from the foil and pour off any excess liquid into a fat separator.
- Place the meat in a large dish and shred it, removing and discarding the bone and any excess fat. Add separated liquid back into porkand seasn to your taste with additional Traeger Big Game Rub. I recommend you to add as well Traeger `Que BBQ Sauce or your favorite one to taste.
- Serve alone, in your favorite recipes or in sandwiches.
- Don´t forget a very cold beer and enjoy!
I strongly recommend you to test different rubs as there are some absolutely amazing flavours to discover and you will be adding your personal master touch, but Traeger ones mentioned here are one of my favourites. This is a typical smoker recipe provided by Traeger for all smoker users.